Thursday 3 September 2015

The evolution of West of the Quarry

A couple of years ago there was an idea to have a place where we could all talk about our one true love - Melbourne Knights and all things related. You could say this was a mixture of wanting something like what South fans have at smfcboard, and what we once had with KnightsArmy (which still seems to get an odd post here and there). Although forums seem to be a thing of the past and are pretty much dead in the water when it comes to our club, we decided to give it a crack and evidently failed fairly miserably.
Living in the past

A year or so later, we tossed up the idea of a rip off/piss take of South of the Border which found it's way to the bloggers ears and eventually onto the blog itself. Not only could you use this as a tool to troll people on twitter, but as a means of bringing people to our failure of a forum with things that people might actually be interested in reading. 

This led to the first 'opinion piece' Back in the limelight, which by the forums standard reached a quite an impressive 1000 or so views within a week, eventually reaching over 2500. We quickly realised that we might be onto something where we could have all the fun we wanted on twitter, while still having half decent write ups that people might bother to read. But rather than concentrating on that, it was used as a tool to try and grow the forum.

No matter how desperate I was personally to have a functioning forum to satisfy my own needs of talking about my club all the time, it was destined to fail. The times had changed and it was time to accept it and move on. Luckily for me certain events in the past 12 months have prevented me from continuing, allowing it finally fade away without me trying to force it's existence any longer.

After thinking about it quite a bit since then, I have finally got off my ass and 'converted' to a blog. It's what should have been done from the beginning as the end result is the same. I get the chance to talk about my club whenever I want, and if people feel like it they will join in the discussion.

As tech savy as I am, I'm not quite comfortable with this whole blog setup yet so the layout is likely to change over the coming weeks and/or months and while I make up my mind about a few things.

And finally for the record, West of the Quarry is more than one person. 

5 comments:

  1. To base the name of the blog on a rival's one is a bit shite, many better names could have been chosen.

    Nonetheless, best of luck and a tip of the hat to the writer/s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if it helps, but I reckon South of the Border is a shite name for a South Melbourne Hellas blog.

      All the best to the blog's writers, once it gets on a roll no one will give a toss about the name.

      Delete
    2. No Paul doesn't help :)

      I think it's a great name for a SMH blog.

      Cheers mate!

      Delete
  2. I agree that many better names could have been chosen. As mentioned, it started as a bit of a piss take and a blog wasn't the original intention. Might change might not, I'm not too fussed by it to be honest.

    Thanks and I hope you enjoy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Savages with morals don't bring knives to a fist fight though buddy

    ReplyDelete